October 5, 2012

Gravel Bike - Part 8

Part 1

I got a pair of rotors for the brakes from Ebay.  They were one of those ‘too good to be true’ deals.  The damn things didn’t come with lockrings, so I had to order a set separately.  It still came out cheaper than buying a new set from Shimano, but weren’t the great score I thought.  Either way, they are still a nice set of XT Centerlock rotors that were brand new take-offs from a bike shop, never ridden before.  I debated for a while on size, considering a 180mm/160mm front/rear combo.  In the end I decided with tire sizes I wanted that 180mm would be overkill.  So I have a 160F / 160R set. 

I love the way these fit up on the hubs.  The rotor splines (I roughly counted 55) aligned perfectly with the hub, there is zero play.  The machined splines look and feel so much lighter and stronger than 6 cast hex screws.

Rotors are directional.  I checked the etching and made sure I got them on the right direction. (I didn’t try it, but I think that if they get put on backwards they will not align in the caliper.)

I spun the lockring down by hand, making sure not to cross-thread anything.

One of the complaints I read in reviews about Centerlock hubs and rotors is that they take an extra tool to install.  The tool is the same one required for cassette installation.  But, I already had one, and didn’t see it as a negative.
 I torqued the lockring to 35 in lbs.  There are matching serrations that ‘lock’ the ring in place after torqueing so I didn’t use any threadlock compound.

I’m using Avid BB7 calipers.  I installed the calipers on the fork and seat stay with the bolts and adapters that came with the rotor.  I’ll do the alignment later when I get the cables installed.

My plan is to run Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires set up tubeless, so I had decided to use Stan’s rim tape.  I read somewhere that people get away with using plastic electrical tape.  I’m using his wheels and sealant, so I thought his tape would be most compatible, and less likely to cause problems.

It was an easy install, but it had me wondering if the 21mm tape I got was too wide.  It never ended up on the interior sidewalls of the rims, but it was pretty close.  I used my thumbnail to help ‘seat’ the tape over the spoke holes.  The only tool needed was a pair of scissors to cut the tape after I ran it around the rim.
I got a pair of Stan’s 35mm Presta valves for the same reasons as the tape above.

                               Part 7                                                                      Part 9

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about the build. I fix everything at my house but have yet to figure out all the details of being a bike mechanic and it bugs me. So to read about this is exciting to me. Thanks!